From:
Ellen Bulger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Sep 2001 12:21:33 EDT
Thanks to all for taking the time to reply.

Karen, if this pedant thing works, i'll try to get a pic of some sort. And I
do hope to visit the obsevatory.

Donna, i'll be in & out of town, but might be visiting a dig (a dry and dusty
business) out your way and will try to give you a call.

Paul, About this vacuum thing, (you know this was the first time I searched
the archives?) how would i find such a wizmo out here on the road?

The post siad you needed to do the vacuum pumpimg in a container specific for
that purpose. the hand blown vial will not be up to spec, i daresay. but once
the air is pumped out, wouldn't it be an easy matter to just keep the shell
submerged and transfer containers? it's not like the air will have an easy
time getting back in.

Also the Pterotyphis pinnatus has hollow protruberances. I remember reading
somewhere that the snail might use these to circulate seawater. This would
imply that the tubes were open on both ends which might help the oil
penetrate. Any Pterotyphis experts out there?

Is the surface tension of bubbles in mineral oil stronger or weaker than
water? This stuff has me completely out of my depth!

Thanks!

Ellen