From:
"Henk H. Dijkstra" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Sep 2001 11:12:59 +0200
Dear Ross,

Type material of Delectopecten fosterianus (Powell, 1933) from New Zealand
was also collected from a deep-sea cable (about 1000 m depth).
Powell mentioned that "The species is named after Mr W. Foster, of the cable
steamer "Recorder", who, by collecting material from cables at every
opportunity, has done much to further our knowledge of deep-sea life in
Australasian waters."
Delectopecten species are generally attached in large quantities by byssal
threads to substrates.

All the best,

Henk

Henk H. Dijkstra (Hon. Res. Ass.)
c/o Department of Malacology, Zoological Museum, University of Amsterdam
P.O. Box 94766, 1090 GT Amsterdam, The Netherlands
E-mail: [log in to unmask]
Private address:
Gravinneweg 12, 8604 CA Sneek, The Netherlands
E-mail: [log in to unmask]