Date:
Tue, 30 Oct 2001 05:02:32 -0600
 Dear Kevin:

There was indeed a known shell collector by the name of  Dr. Arnold. I have
a few of his shells. He was a collector of Freshwater Mollusks from the
period around the Civil War if memory serves. My collection has some pieces
of that vintage and they are pretty well preserved.

The value of course depends on the content, as you well know, many of the
shells may be of species that have been extirpated or are now extinct in
range or in toto.

I have recently had a figure of 3 - 4 dollars each suggested to me in
valuing my collection for sale. This seems fair in the average, but not so
fair when you look at individual species. It seems to me that common
Elliptios at $4.00 is a great price for the seller and Obovaria retusa at
$4.00 is a great price for the buyer.

Commercial value is always down to what someone will pay, despite what
dealers or auctioneers may think. Freshwater shells are not in that much
demand except among the enlightened. They may lack the romance of the Murex
or the intrigue of the Plerotomaria, but they have much more interesting sex
lives!!! That being said - a collection is worth what someone will pay for
it.
--
Sincerely,

Robert J. Nuelle, Jr.