From:
Marlo Krisberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Oct 2001 18:20:04 -0500
Here's my numbering and storage system and how I keep it current.  Every
shell is bar coded and stored in vacuum sealed packets with complete data.
All shells are tripled.  One is stored in a vault.  One in the
workroom/shell room with the third, which is "open packed" for examination.
The bar coded data slips are readable via an electronic wan which is plugged
into a computer which displays current taxonomic data and produces a
self-adhesive, replacement data slip if required (see below).  The bar code
cross references to a central philogeneticlly ordered catalog, a "collected
location" data base, a "chronologically acquired" data base, a
self-collected data base, a trade data base, a dealer data base, a gift data
base, and my favorite recipes.  Each data base is stored both electronic and
hard copy (hand-written.  That's how my progeny earn their yearly IRA
contributions).  Electronic copies are duplicated each night to a resident
server, a high density storage medium which is disconnected when not in use
and stored in a water proof, two-hour fire resistant safe with a built in
beeper for easy location in the event it is washed away by flood, tornado or
hurricane (all of which we've had here in the past year), and a remote
server in a rural western America bomb shelter.  All the data bases can be
accessed by a relational Boolean-chaos search program that will convert
readouts to four languages in addition to English.  They are all linked to a
master philogenetic/taxonomy list of every Gastropoda and Pelecypoda ever
described in the literature (except Petuch's Olive book - there wasn't
room).  Each entry in the master list is cross-linked to prior and related
names so that a search by any name will produce a readout of the current
name under which shells in the workroom/shell room are filed.  A change in
the master list (updated monthly) will change all the data bases and produce
new data slips for all shells upon request.  No, the vaulted specimens are
not relabeled. That would be done only in the event a vaulted specimen was
accessed.  The workroom/shell room specimens are stored in a
computer-controlled, light-tight, environmentally controlled, automated
retrieval system (only the repairperson is allowed inside - in order to cut
costs she also babysits, cooks, cleans and drives the car, but she doesn't
do windows).  Shells can be retrieved by querying the relational
Boolean-chaos search program by names, locale, source, etc.  When the
"retrieve" button is pressed the system will retrieve the drawer with the
shell and if any name changes or other data changes have occurred since the
specimen was last retrieved, an updated data sheet is delivered from the
retrieval system printer along with the storage drawer.

If anyone is interested in a similar system (master list and all relational
databases included), I can install one for you for $4.95 plus travel
expenses (add 6% sales tax if you live in Florida).  You'll have to find
your own repair person.  You just have to get the nurse to unlock my room
and unsnap my straight jacket.

Marlo