From:
Dan Yoshimoto <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 May 1998 17:53:49 -0700
>        Dear, all
>

>        Have been noticing that certain shells like Bolinus brandaris, Hexaplex
>trunculus, Opalia crenata and even the pelagic Janthina balteata produce a
>purple dye pigment? or fluid?. My curiosity is whether this pigment? or
>fluid?, is an act of defence or is it secreted by the animal when in
>stress, since when I collect live animals, they normally never show traces
>of this pigment? or fluid? Immediately ?
>        Is this purple dye present in many other shells besides these ? Do (or
>did) any other cultures use similar pigments like the ancient Romans did ?
>        Would really appreciate hearing your comments !!
>        My very best shelling regards to you all,
>
>        Carlos

Carlos,
        Yes, the Zapotec Indians of Oaxaca, Mexico use the Purpura patula
pansa in dying their yarns for weaving.  But, instead of destroying the
animals, like the Romans & Middle Eastern peoples did, the Zapotecs remove
the animal, squeeze the "juice" from the mantle and return the animal to
its rock, to be harvested again the following year.  It's an interesting
and more ecological process than was used in ancient times in Tyre.  Bless
the Zapotecs as real conservationists.
        Dan Yoshimoto

Dan & Hiromi Yoshimoto
1164 Vista Dr.