From:
Avril Bourquin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Jan 2002 09:38:14 -0700
I've enjoyed and have appreciated all the comments that I have received from
the list. Thank you everyone.  NOW

Here's a few more specific questions:

1.  If a person was stung by a venomous mollusc;  is their information to
which a forensic person could turn to to identify the toxin.  Is their such
a data base and is there any specific tests which can be done to detect
these venoms post mortem? And, Does such a sting destroy tissue at the point
of entry or leave other identifiable signs ?

2. Would molluscs if purposefully placed on a corpse alter the normal rate
of infestation and decomposition that forensic scientist use presently to
try and place a time of death. I know some molluscs are attracted to rotting
meat; but would they go after a fresh (Possibly with an open wound) corpse
if they were dumped on or placed nearby such?  Is their any known cases of
aquatic (marine or freshwater)  or land snails actually eating on a human
corpse?

3. Paralytic Shellfish Poisoning;  Are there any known cases of murder by
purposefully feeding a contaminated mollusc to an unsuspecting human?

This might all sound morbid but I'm curious and NO!! I'm not planning on
doing someone in or writing a murder mystery! I'm just a naturally curious
person who possibly (probably) watches too many TV medical detective and
forensic science stories.

All the best and pleasant dreams,

Avril Bourquin
P.O. Box 366