From:
Mary Canada <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Jan 2002 14:58:47 -0500
The laws that govern Brazil and its natural resources are not the same as the
laws that govern wetlands in the United States.  Most wetlands are fragile
ecosystems and any change or damage to them is closely regulated by many
government agencies.  Prop scars from motorized boats remain for years and
years.  Fragile systems may never recover.  Dredging is dredging...no matter the
size of dredge used.  If the soft bottom or hard bottom is protected, this
protection applies to individuals as well as corporations.  Many areas in
Florida have some measure of legal protection in place to prevent destruction of
species as well as habitat.  There are laws requiring scanning for artifacts
before disturbance of certain areas.  My suggestion is that any person
considering dredging in Florida should be aware of any laws that may or may not
apply to their operation.  And if they feel that no laws apply to their actions,
then they should, at the very least, consider any potential damages to Santa
Rosa Sound.  Also, is this individual considering the use of the dredge to
simply expedite his search for shells while vacationing in this area?

Santa Rosa Sound contains some of the few remaining viable beds of seagrasses in
the Pensacola Bay System.  Thalassia (turtle grass) is present in this area and
will suffer serious damage if it is dredged.