From:
Burton Vaughan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Feb 2002 01:45:01 -0800
Dear Sieglinde,

My experience has been that even 3 megapixel cameras were inadequate for our
shell photography, when photographing anything more than a nearly flat
specimen. I tried several different digital cameras (3 meg), here at our
university, none of which came anywhere near the capability of a good 35 mm
(SLR) optical camera. The biggest problems are 1) diffused lighting, and 2)
the fact that digital cameras to date don't afford full flexibility in
choice of lens. Depending on shell size & shape, I find a 350 mm Macro lens
most useful for good depth of focus, minimum distortion, and good shadow
detail. Sometimes I need also to use either  extension tubes with a 55 mm
standard camera lens, or an 80-210 mm zoom lens. Shadow and highlight detail
are most important qualities, and after doing some 300 pictures to date, I
cannot match the optical camera results with those of the 3 meg digital
camera .

A very good quality lens & 35 mm SLR camera setup can now be obtained on the
used equipment market within your price range. We scan our negatives at a
15-20 MB per image resolution, adjust them in Photoshop then put them on our
web site at a size of about 70 Kb per image
<http://nighthawk.tricity.wsu.edu/museum/home.html>

-Burton