From:
Paul Heinrich <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 24 Mar 2002 14:33:27 -0800
Dear Friends:

As shell collectors, I presume that a number of you
frequently
scour the beaches of the Gulf of Mexico along the
coasts of
Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, and further east on a
regular
basis.  Does anyone have a sense of the frequency that
pumice
washes up on the beaches on the part of the Gulf of
Mexico
that you search for shells?  I am curious what is the
largest
piece of pumice that someone has seen washed upon a
Gulf of
Mexico beach?

Finally, has anyone published any study besides the
citations
listed below about drift pumice in either the Gulf of
Mexico or
Caribbean Sea?

Yours,

Paul Heinrich
Baton Rouge, LA

Known Citations:

Bryan, W. B., 1972, Cummingtonite-Dacite Drift Pumice
Stranded at West Palm Beach, Florida. Geological
Society
America Bulletin. vol. 83, no. 12, pp. 3745-3746.

Donovan, S. K., 1999, Pumice and Pseudoplankton:
Geological
and Paleontological Implications of an Example from
the
Caribbean. Caribbean Journal of Science, vol. 35, no.
3-4,
pp. 323–324,