From:
"William M. Frank" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 May 1998 23:32:49 -0400
I would be interested in what material you have from the Strombus gigas
hatchery in Key West (Long Key near Marathon) which states that
Strombus gigas is doing so well.  According to Bob Glazer project director
at the Federal Marine Research Institute (whose extensive file I have here)
that isn't the case at all  (See American Conchologist Volume 26 (1), page
14).  As one who has lived in the keys for a number of years, I don't
dispute the successful comeback of the species (downstream veligers are
always contributory).

I also realize that Mr. Glazer has a vested interest in keeping the success
rate low ($$$$).

Please free to Email me your information.

Thanks!

Bill Frank
1865 Debutante Dr.
Jacksonville, FL 32246-8645
Phone/FAX: (904) 724-5326
Visit the Jacksonville Shell Club Home Page at:
http://home.sprynet.com/sprynet/wfrank/jacksonv.htm