From:
Andrew Grebneff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 8 Jun 2002 15:12:57 +1200
>I am interested in checklist all over the world. From New Zealand I know the
>Spencerīs (from Otago University) list. Do you know it? Could you please
>tell me if it is accurated? (I suppose so, but I don't have really enough
>knowledge about New Zealand molluscs to be sure)

Spencer, H G  & Willan, R C 1996 (the date printed "1995" is
incorrect!), "The Marine Fauna of New Zealand: Index to the Fauna: 3.
Mollusca", New Zealand Oceanographic Institute Memoir 105, 125pp, no
ilustrations, ISSN 0083-7903.

This is not original work; it is a compiled taxonomic update of the
checklist in Powell's old "Shells of New Zealand", list itself done
in the original format. Distributions are unchanged to my knowledge,
and so highly inaccurate.

There are taxonomic problems also; for instance, they place
Mysticoncha (Velutinidae) in synonymy with Caledoniella. This is an
error, and the two genera are very unalike!

Also Notoficula is placed in Triviidae; however Bruce Marshall tells
me that it belongs in Cypraeioidea (family uncertain), and it is
operculate (neoteny in action).

Corrections/updates needed (I haven't gone through the entire book,
only to page 26):
Seila cincta (Hutton 1886), not 1866
Latiromitra problematica (Ponder 1968) is Metzgeria problematica (Ponder 1968)
Surculina expeditionis (Dell 1956) is Exilia expeditionis (Dell 1956)
Microfulgur carinatus Ponder 1970 is Pararetifusus carinatus (Ponder
1970), Buccininae
But what the heck, this is all in my Powell thinie ayway...

Known but undescribed species are, as usual, ignored (there are at
least 1000 such so far, tally growing daily).

Taxonomy is in the NZ/Australian style, with many subgenera boosted
to generic level (though genus/subgenus use is admittedly rather
subjective).

--
Andrew Grebneff
165 Evans St, Dunedin 9001, New Zealand