From:
Carlos Afonso <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Jun 2002 08:18:20 -0700
Thank you Harry and José for your comments on the
subject Trachypollia.

Mr. Gert Lindner a good friend of mine seeing my
message on Conch-L, kindly sent me, les Muricidae
d´Afrique occidentale, (Houart, 1997) and this is what
I found out:

Morula nodulosa (C. B. Adams, 1845)
Morula nodulosa was classified in Drupa (Nickles,
1950), Morula (Bernard, 1984, Rios, 1985) or
Trachypollia (Radwin & D' Attilio, 1976). Houart, 1997
in les Muricidae d'Afrique occidentale puts it in the
genus Morula due to the similarity of the shell and
the radula characters with the type species of Morula
and other species of the genus. The species is
amphiatlantic.

For Trachypollia turricula (von Maltzan, 1884) I think
Harry said it all in a previous mail:

Trachypollia turricula (von Maltzan, 1884) Twin Drupe
[2] 16 mm.
Known primarily by its synonym T. didyma (Schwengel,
1943), which E. Vokes (1996) considered distinct. It
was first reported amphi-Atlantic in distribution by
Talavera (1982), who mistakenly synonymized it with
the E. Atlantic T. suga (Fischer-Piette, 1942), which
is now placed in Muricopsis (Risomurex). T. turricula,
originally described from the East Atlantic, is the
proper assignment of our species (Houart, 1997).
Illustration in Abbott (1974; sp. 1873) is
miscaptioned; it appears to be a Muricopsis
(Risomurex) species. Enlarges known range vs. Abbott
(1974): “South Florida to Texas and the West Indies.
Brazil.”

This specie also occurs from the Cape Verde
Archipelago down to Luanda, Angola, on Africa's West
coast.

Best regards,
Carlos