From:
Phil Liff-Grieff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Jun 2002 07:31:31 -0700
Dear Conch-Lers,

I concur with the sentiment that has been expressed by many.  We
collectors are in constant need of literature to help us to identify
what we have and to expand our knowledge of what is "out there".  I find
that many of the dealers' sites perform the same function as the
Compendium or other picture books- they provide easily accessible
photographs of numerous species.  I even think that some of these photos
are among the best I've seen anywhere (published or otherwise).

The fact that I could then purchase what I am looking at in no way
detracts from the value of the photo as a resource.  In fact it adds a
bit of excitement to the search.

It benefits us all, I believe, to allow dealers to notify us of photos
that can be accessed on their websites.

I would continue to frown on blatant commercial announcements that
merely inform the list that a given shell is available or that includes
sales lists of any kind.

All the best,

Phil Liff-Grieff