From:
CHARLES F STURM <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 27 Jul 2002 07:33:05 -0400
This was sent to me with a request to pass it on to the group:

Dear Charles and other conch-lers

please foreward this answer to the list if possible
or tell them what I say. I think you can't say the
real number of all existing species, as there are
a lot of names which are not available or are
synonyms of other species. You may say if you
like to count the number of disposable names.
So there is a lot of names of not valid species or
subspecies which have been counted but nor real their
right position. I think when we have about 100 000
of gastropoda it is just more than to be expected for
being valid ones and about less than 20 000 bivalves.
The names ever counted up today will enclude maybe
all subspecies, forms or variations and synonyms. And
maybe there are again more synonyms which are not
counted again.
So the real number I think is under 100 000
(maybe somewhat over 80 000) and under 20 000.

with best shelling greetings and hoping all are well
Helmut from Innsbruck
--
Helmut & Irmgard Nisters
Franz-Fischer-Stasse 46

http://www.gmx.net

Regards,
Charlie
Charlie Sturm, Jr
Research Associate - Section of Mollusks
                     Carnegie Museum of Natural History
                     Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Assistant Professor - Family Medicine