From:
"Gijs C. Kronenberg" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Aug 2002 19:25:14 +0200
The "German Beta" is not a beta at all, but a so called "Ringel S" which is
in fact a combination of the letters "sz". In medieval German (and Dutch as
well) the first one of these two looked a lot like a "f" without the bar in
the middle.

Gijs