Date:
Fri, 20 Sep 2002 15:27:29 -0400
>I was wondering of some of the bibliophiles out there could give me an opinion on how to cite:
>Jean Baptiste Pierre Antoine de Monet, Chevalier de Lamarck

In my thesis, I put Lamarck, J. B. P. A. de M. de. Not exactly an authoritative source for editorial style, though.

Chevalier being Knight, I suspect it would be a title rather than a part of the name. There may be additional difficulties of variation in use over time, as the de (of, analagous to German von) signifies nobility and thus was frequently omitted from names during the French Revolution to avoid getting sent to the guillotine.  I think the rest count as initials, but most editors probably prefer fewer.

Even more modern names have similar problems, such as Katherine Elizabeth Hilton Van Winkle Palmer, who did not use her full name on her many publications, mostly on Cenozoic marine mollusks.  Although she worked on some of the same faunas, I do not plan to name any of my new Eocene species katherineelizabethhiltonvanwinklepalmerae, despite the potential to set the world record for length.

    Dr. David Campbell
    Old Seashells
    University of Alabama
    Biodiversity & Systematics