Date:
Fri, 4 Oct 2002 14:32:56 -0400
> In the last two days I have received no less than 10 copies of a virus sent through the addresses of Conch-list members, one of which was that of Joaquin Lopez Soriaro, for whom someone asked a current E-mail address.<

I received a suspicious attachment that was from a hybrid of his address and another.  I suspect that the virus is harvesting addresses and mixing them around to produce phony "from" addresses.  I even received one purporting to be from dcampbell@something, though not an address I have had.  Most from addresses do not look familiar, though.  My email program lists the size of messages, so anything enormous from someone I do not expect gets deleted.  Usually the subject line makes no sense, too.

The Conch-L list itself does not allow attachments, but many people on the list have addresses of other list members in their address books, and some viruses may be getting addresses off the web.

    Dr. David Campbell
    Old Seashells
    University of Alabama
    Biodiversity & Systematics