From:
Tom Eichhorst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Jun 1998 18:40:01 -0700
mark wrote:

> the suggestion of WD-40 could be a bit dangerous as the prime ingredient in
> this product is diesel fuel, there might be additives that will eventually
> break-down the shell.

I agree with Mark about the dangers of using WD-40.  If there is any
excess that is not wiped off it will eventually evaporate and leave a
pale-yellowish, varnish-like coating.  Mineral oil or silicon, on the
other hand, evaporate clean with no residue.

And Mark, I wish I had known the trick about Vaseline and naphtha for
freshwater bivalves.  I have had quite a few lose the periostracum no
matter how carefully handled or stored.  Have you tried this on other
bivalves where the periostracum is important, like the green mussel
(Mytilus viridis)?  My specimen is now a white, green mussel as the
periostracum is long gone.

Tom (enjoying 75 degree weather in New Mexico)