From:
Andrew Grebneff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Nov 2002 20:43:07 +1300
>What is the currently accepted genus (or subgenus) for Epitonium
>statuminatum?  Some references say Gyroscala (as my specimen was
>labeled) and others Nitidiscala.
>--
>Cecil N. Bankston
>Baton Rouge, LA USA

Gyroscala, like so many other superspecific taxa in Epitoniidae, is
of no use even as a subgenus. Its only difference from Epitonium ss
is presence of a peribasal cord. I have a specimen of E. rupicolum
which lacks a cord... by definition this mean it belongs to an
different subgenus from normal specimens of the same species. Nuts to
that.

Amaea, Cirsotrema, Gyroscala, Parviscala, Asperiscala, Nitidiscala,
Hyaloscala, Mazescala, Papyriscala  and a heap of others (many due to
Iredale 1936) have no objective validity other than as available
names, but they should not be used.

However if you insist, then E. statuminatum belongs in Gyroscala.
--
Andrew Grebneff
165 Evans St, Dunedin 9001, New Zealand