From:
Michael McCreight <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 6 Jun 1998 11:19:48 -0500
Doris, your posting on the Xenophora and the live kitten paw reminded me of
a recent conversation.  As my mother was showing her collection to my
husband and stepbrother, one of them asked if the shells, (or worm tube)
they collected were alive when they were attached.  We thought that was a
good question but assumed they must be dead.  So now it seems to be a good
question again (at least to me) and I'd like to hear some more information
on this fascinating shell. Does anyone have any more details on the
Xenophora's collection of live versus dead,  and does anyone know the
process used to place the items where it does?  What a great video that
would make!
Kathy Glass