From:
Wayne Harland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Nov 2002 23:48:19 -0500
Dave,

No the borrow area is shallower -- inside the 3rd reef.  The sand depth
between the reefs varies from 30-50' deep since it is essentially trapped
there.  Outside the 3rd reef the bottom slopes off fairly quickly to 400'
then at a more modest angle into the depths.  Dredging at these depths and
contending with a 1 to 4 knot gulfstream are not practical.  In addition,
the sand outside that reef is fairly shallow and very coarse and rocky and
useless as beach sand.

Congratulations on the dalli -- a rare find here in Florida.

Wayne Harland
"The trouble with doing something right the first time
is that nobody realizes how difficult it really was."