From:
Andrew Grebneff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 23 Feb 2003 13:36:36 +1300
>I take it that by the "oldest," you mean the longest-lived.

The genus goes back at least to the late Cretaceous. We have 2
species in the NZ cretaceous. Another seems to g right through from
the early Paleocene to early Miocene or later; that's a LONG-lived
species; it's exceedingly common in some late Oligocene localities.
None of these reach much more than 14cm in length.
--
Regards
Andrew