From:
"Paolo G. Albano" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Feb 2003 23:28:06 +0100
I would recomend 10x binocular microscope for most uses with microshells
like sorting sand samples and identification.
It is sometimes useful to have a more powerful lens, like a 20x for
observing better sculpture or protoconch.  This magnification can usually
be achieved by a supplemental pair of oculars.
At higher magnification (30x 40x) you can see bigger, but generally the
area with focus is extremely small.  I have this magnification in my
binocular but hardly ever use it. More than 40x is in my opinion useless if
you do not have high quality lenses (read: very expensive).
Best regards,
Paolo

At 19.44 24/02/2003 -0500, you wrote:

>Dear Conch-Lers: I had a great time visiting the event yesterday & was
>especially impressed with Peggy Williams exhibit of microshells
>collected from the high tide line near the pier @ Sanibel Island. It was
>such a wonder to see how many species she identified from such a small
>amount of sand & shell collected. I'm interested in knowing what
>reference guides deal with identifying microshells & what power
>microscopes/loupes are recommended for studying these often overlooked
>shells. I was in the jewelry business & have a 10x loupe & identified
>exotic fruit flies with the Medfly Emergency Program with the USDA and
>have a 15x hand lens from that program. Please advise me about this
>fascinating realm of conchology/malacology if you have any ideas to
>share. Christopher Stalder, email:[log in to unmask]

Paolo G. ALBANO
Bologna, ITALY
E-mail: [log in to unmask]
Homepage: http://members.xoom.virgilio.it/pgalbano/index.htm