From:
Konstantin Kopylov <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Jun 2003 00:11:59 -0500
Hello Peter and List,

I think you talking about Aral sea which is loosing its water and slowly
disappearing. What about Caspian sea (it's will be more correct to named
it "lake" - largest in the world by the way) , I can say that Caspian's
water level changed every year and raise up to 2.5 meters for the last
20 years.

Very interesting place: by origin Caspian fauna contains a five
different faunistical groups of animals:
native caspian group-513 species or 43.8% of C.s. fauna:
arctic group. - 14 sp. or 1.2% (Caspian seal for example):
Mediterranean group, Freshwater group (228 sp) and Seawater group.
There is a lot of endemic fishes and crustaceans.

Malacological fauna included 178 species (74 species of Gastropods and
28 sp.of Bivalves are
endemics). But for sure it is a medium and  small sized creatures.
Oh yes, there is a three species of Zebra mussel (Dreissenidae)

Best regards,
Konstantin Kopylov
Houston,TX

PS: sorry for my terrible English.

Peter Egerton wrote:

   Patty,

  According to an article I read a while ago (National Geographic? or
was it on the Web?), the
  Caspian sea is an ecological disaster zone right now. The reason you
  saw no towns and villages beside it, and it looks so desolate, is that
it has
  been drying up and shrinking drastically over the last decades...the
once
  thriving villages on its shores are now nowhere near the new
shoreline.
  It would be interesting to view  this from an airplane as you did.

  Peter