From:
Ellen Bulger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 15 Jun 2003 19:29:00 -0700
Hi Alwyn,

As far as the USA goes, I don't think there is any law banning
collection by scuba in Florida, oustide of marine parks, but (and it's
a big but) most dive operators won't let you collect.

California has a whole bunch of freaky laws and you'd best talk to some
Cali folks for that.

I don't believe any other US states restrict shelling by scuba except
in certain marine parks. I could be wrong.

In the Bahamas, you can't collect off Nassau or the south shore of
Grand Bahama. In the out islands, like Eleuthera or the Abacos, certain
dive operators can get prissy. In my experience in depend where they
are from. Dive masters from the US aren't thrilled about shelling, but
Bahamian dive masters are usually pretty cool . They often help you
hunt for shells. But don't be surprised if they expect you to return
the favor and help them haul up Strombus gigas for salad for lunch.

The water is cleaner in the Bahamas too.

It is better in the BAHAMAS!

  Ellen Bulger