Date:
Sun, 26 Oct 2003 10:58:43 -0500
Dear Olivier;-
   The "boxes" you are refering to are called California Type Drawers. I have three of them. They are mounted on the wall, rather than being used horizontally. They are nice for displaying small shells. And they are hell to dust.
    Art

> From: olivier caro <[log in to unmask]>
> Date: 2003/10/26 Sun AM 10:33:08 EST
> To: [log in to unmask]
> Subject: Re: Shell Display
>
> Hi Donna
>
> The pieces of furniture which were used by the early XXth century printers to store their block letters, have many small boxes, each box containing a letter in a size, the abc etc... being arranged in the boxes od front, ABC etc... in those behind (lower case, upper case).
> That gives large dressers, with a tilted plate which can be used to consult a large book, as with a lectern.
> These old things are not very expensive when you can find them in situ.
>
> For big seashells such as Strombidae, Pinnidae etc..., I use those old aquariums (empty...) whose front face is convex. This design comes from the fifties, thus it's not a too expensive purchase (by considering, of course, that one seeks only objetcs of second hand). With a sandy bottom, the effect is great.
> That's all for my part.
>
> Any two other cents somewhere ?
>
> Olivier Caro

PLEASE NOTE: My new, long-term, and correct email address is: [log in to unmask] Please update your records!