From:
Phil Liff-Grieff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 31 Oct 2003 19:59:38 -0800
Dear Conch-L'ers,

OK, all this talk about the need for a systematic
survey of Alabama's "most diverse land snail fauna in
the Eastern US" has whetted my appetite.

I have been slowly gaining more information about the
land snails in my own "backyard" here in Southern
California and have been very aware of what appear to
be shifts in populations with the introduction and
spread of exotics.  Starting with some locality
information in Pilsbry, I am interested in surveying a
large wooded park area in the middle of LA to see what
changes have taken place there since the 1930's.

So, my question is-- how does an amateur learn about
proper survey techniques?  Are there references or
other resources that teach how to be systematic
without (I'm assuming) the need to turn over every
single leaf or blade of grass in a many-acre study
area.  Anybody have any suggestions?

Phil Liff-Grieff

=====
Phil Liff-Grieff