From:
Matthew Grote <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Jun 1998 08:44:27 EDT
Dear Conchlers,

      Another example of sexual dimorphism is evident in Conus kulkulcan of
Roatan Island off Honduras.  This shell was all the rage about 10 years ago.
Ted Kalafut wrote an article about the small thick male shell (15-20mm), and
the larger;lighter female(up to 40mm).  In general the female had the brighter
colors (reds, yellows, and yes even blues), where the male possessed the muted
tones.  This shell is in the Conus cardinalis complex- I have noticed the same
size disparity in typical C.cardinalis.  I still do have an un-published
manuscript about the Conus of the Western Atlantic, but I fear it is slightly
out-dated as I've missed the cone news for a few years!!

Sincerely,    Matt