Date:
Fri, 30 Jan 2004 00:18:38 -0500
Alan,

If you are still unable to remove the data tag using any of the previously
suggested techniques, I have another trick that may work for you.  You did
not mention the species of gastropod that swallowed your data tag, so I do
not know if this technique will be suitable.  You should avoid using this
technique on thin or fragile shells.

The technique uses a self-clinching cable tie of an appropriate length for
your shell.  These are available at any hardware store.  The strength and
flexibility of a plastic tie will allow it to snake its way up into the
whorls of the shell without breaking or kinking.

Wrap a piece of double-sided adhesive tape 4 or 5 times around the tapered
end, and about 4mm back from the tip.  Keeping the tape away from the
extreme end of the tie will allow the plastic tip to slide up into the
aperture and preventing the tape from sticking to the interior whorls.

Hold the cable tie by the clinching mechanism and slowly work the taped tip
into the aperture.  After slowly maneuvering and twisting the tie, the tape
will eventually touch the data tag and you can then slowly extract it.
Depending on how badly the data tag is wedged into the whorls, you may have
to experiment a bit with the tape to get it to stick to the paper.
None-the-less, this technique has worked for me almost every time I’ve
tried it.

I have used various cable ties lengths for different size shells depending
on how far up into the aperture I needed to reach.  The cable ties also
offer an excellent method to loosen extraneous material (animal, dirt)
caught up in the whorls of the shell. I've been able to snake a cable tie
almost 4 whorls up into a large Conus amadis to dislodge some dried pieces
of animal.

Again, don't try this on thin or fragile shells.  You may just end up with
a trinket that will only be good for hanging from a necklace!

Rich
http://www.worldwideconchology.com