From:
Ellen Bulger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Feb 2004 10:02:36 -0800
If something sturdy enough can be designed, what about a traveling
exhibit? I know the Smithsonian has such things. The one I saw,
"Yesterday's Tomorrows" was far from impressive. I'll bet under the
current administration there isn't a lot of grant money around (gotta
pay out the big bucks to Halliburton, after all) to finance such a
thing.

At any rate, a good part of what makes the shell show exhibits so
spectacular is the massive number of specimens displayed. The quantity
of species makes a difference. It's a real kick in the head for a kid
(or an adult) to get a hint of the diversity. So many different shells,
so many different shapes, why? It jump-starts the gray matter in all
kinds of authentically exciting directions without specific
choreography on the part of the display designer.

There are shell show exhibits that are 60 feet long with a dozen cases.
That is an enormous amount of work and probably not practical for a
traveling display. So I'm still thinking the shell shows are the best
bet.

Museums would be lucky to snag these exhibits for a loan. But if
"everything" is market driven, why not look to the private sector for
venues? There are some pretty fly beach resorts with room for a shell
display. Look at all those over-the-top Dale Chihuly glass sculptures
at the Atlantis. You know they dropped a pretty dime on those. Wouldn't
you think they'd be happy to have an extensive display of Bahamian
seashells in one of their lobbies for a spell? If shell clubs
approached resorts and tourist bureaus or even banks or cruise lines
(gotta stick those shells in place in their cases so they don't roll),
the fees could be put towards scholarship funds. Of course someone has
to fly in and set up the display and they need to stay somewhere...

I've gone from rant to ramble...

Bobbi Cordy wrote:
Isn't it a shame the Museums don't take advantage of some of these
fantastic shell show exhibits!

The Bailey/Mathews Museum gives the Master's Trophy for the best
exhibit that has already won a major award.    Part of the trophy
requirements could be to exhibit this display at the Museum for a few
months!

A great way to get a "cheap" exhibit!   The only cost to the museum
would be space!   The exhibitor could transport it to the museum and
set it up!    Some of the best exhibits are in the Florida Shell Shows!