Date:
Sun, 15 Feb 2004 09:24:10 -0500
Dear Andrew and Ross;-
   Common in Florida fossil beds is a sinistral cone. Could that extinction have had anything to do with the glacial ages? If so, would global warming (or cooling) be an endangerment to other living species?
    Art

> From: Andrew Grebneff <[log in to unmask]>
> Date: 2004/02/14 Sat PM 12:28:03 EST
> To: [log in to unmask]
> Subject: Re: Extinctions
>
> >    Like you, I have heard, periodicly, about how many creatures
> >become extinct every year---due to loss of habitat, polution, mad
> >cow dung, and a few etc's.
> >    My question is: Dating from the 1800's, have any mollusks become
> >extinct? And does anyone have the last of them?
>
> I am sure that hundreds have been wiped uot in tropical
> deforestation... without ever becoming known to science.
>
>   I don't know really, but would imagine that some fluvial snails may
> have become extinct... quite a few are endangered.
>
>   Marine species are much less likely to be endangered.
>
> >     Other question: Species from the pliestocene are close but
> >different. Did the Pleistocene species become extinct---or merely
> >change as time went on?
> >   Your devoted Question Man
>
> Many Pleistocene species are still living unchanged... in fact the
> majority of Pleistocene species are (the Pleistocene began 1.8my
> ago). Many Recent species evolved in the Pliocene (5-1.8my), some in
> the Miocene (24-5my)... and a few even in the middle Eocene (42-46my
> )!.
> --
> Andrew Grebneff
> Dunedin, New Zealand
> 64 (3) 473-8863
> Fossil preparator
> Seashell, Macintosh & VW/Toyota van nut
> I want your sinistral gastropods!
> Opinions in this e-mail are my own, not those of my institution
> A: Because it reverses the logical flow of conversation.
> Q: Why is top posting frowned upon?

PLEASE NOTE: My new, long-term, and correct email address is: [log in to unmask] Please update your records!