From:
Robert Forsyth <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Feb 2004 07:49:02 -0800
Richard,

Thanks for confirming this.

I have since found my notes on the subject (temporarily forgotten and
misplaced); P. H. Fischer (1880-1887, Manuel de Conchyliologie et de
Paleontologie Conchyliologique) provided etymologies for the genera and
species he treated. For Carychium, the etymology that he gave was "Le
buccine" -- that is "buccina" in English, which means (depending on what
dictionary I checked) a crooked horn or trumpet; an ancient trumpet-like
instrument; or a shepherd's horn.

Like Paul Monfils, I suspected that Carychium may have been derived from
Greek word for "nut", and I wasn't sure about another possibility, "thorn",
since that word is integral to the common names of these snails in the
American Fisheries List's 'Names of Mollusks.'

Robert

PO Box 3804, Smithers, British Columbia, Canada V0J 2N0
Research Associate, Royal BC Museum, BC, Canada
BC Land Snails: http://www3.telus.net/rforsyth/