Date:
Tue, 16 Mar 2004 01:58:41 +0100
Hello , David .None of us three assumed that the possibility of
hybridization between all related Harpa species does not really exist ( even
if very small ) so I do not think that any of us can already deserve the
adjective " unwise " , what I said is that " I have never heard about a
possible hybridization within any Harpidae genus . " simply because that is
the truth , which does not mean at all that since I have never heard about
it hybridization does not exist among Harpidae . Even if all Harpa species
somewhat show the same morphology I still am not at all sure ( but not 100%
unsure ) that true hybrids could not be identified as such . I must also
remind that H. davidis and H. articularis are not sympatric ( so how could
they hybridize ? ) and that the conditions for hybridization between H.
articularis and H. major still remain extremely hard to meet . As far as I
am concerned I did read ( and re-read again and again ) the original
descriptions of all the contemporary Harpidae species as I have been
collecting Harpidae for only more than 15 years however my obvious lack of
experience did not succeed in preventing me from having the daring of
publishing some articles on the genus Harpa as well as on the genus Morum .
Otherwise I am interested in any information about the hybrid specimen(s) of
Pongo ( any species of chimp ) and Homo sapiens sapiens showing
characteristics of both species . Franck Frydman