From:
Andrew Grebneff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Mar 2004 23:56:47 +1300
>I have a growing interest on hybrids.

Many hybrids would go unnoticed, especially those which become
established in nature as new species, or become holotypes of new
species of which no further (or only 1 or 2) specimens will ever be
found.

A few, such as Lambis wheelwrighti, will be relatively common... and
may actually be breeding true (anyone know for sure on that score?).
Hybrids which attain a breeding population

>It is of my experience, that despite finding hybrids is indeed highly
>improbable ,

Probable hybrid Calliostoma tigris x pellucidum are known.

>assuming they are not a real possibility between all related
>species is unwise.
>
>Theoretically, we could interbreed with chimpanzees, and there is at least
>one specimen known to exhibit mixed characters. A quantity of different
>molluscs with an higher degree of resemblance are interacting continuously
>in their underwater routine. What would be extremely difficult, was that
>they would not reproduce successfully.

Some hybrids are nonviable. Others are most certainly fertile, at
least with plants; I would be most surprised if no animal hybrids are
viable, and come to think of it, there is a fertile mule living
currently, I believe.

>I am sure they come along like sinistralīs, as I keep looking for new ones
>to the collection ;)
>
>Best regards,
>David C.

Got any spare hybrid sinistral Harpa?

>Otherwise I am interested in any information about the hybrid specimen(s) of
>Pongo ( any species of chimp )

You mean Pan. And in fact Pan may eventually be synonymized with Homo...

>and Homo sapiens sapiens showing characteristics of both species .

As would I.
--
Andrew Grebneff
165 Evans St, Dunedin 9001, New Zealand