From:
Date:
Sun, 21 Mar 2004 08:17:45 -0700
Gijs,

I believe the parthenogentic part was in reference to the hybrid that is now
a species.  Where I live we have Cnemidophoorus neomexicanus Lowe & Zweifel,
1952 (the New Mexican whiptail lizard).  The NM whiptail is an "allodiploid
parthenogenotic" species that was originally created through hybridization
between C. inornatus (the paternal parent) and C. tigris marmoratus (the
maternal parent).  C. neomexicanus is a viable species that reproduces
parthenogenitically - the females lay eggs that are always female.  No males
involved.  As for other hybrids sucessfully breeding, I believe this has
happened in reptiles.  Sometimes these animals just don't read or understand
our textbooks (rule books) and go about life in an unexpected fashion.
There are a number of parthenogenitic reptiles, but I have yet to hear of
such in the Mollusca (a problem of observation maybe?).

Tom Eichhorst in New Mexico, USA (where it was 82 degrees F yesterday, a new
record)