From:
Date:
Tue, 27 Jul 2004 10:48:48 -0600
Linda,

I have responded to a number of requests over the past few years about how
to dispose of a shell collection.  Sometimes this is a query by the
survivors of a deceased shell collector and sometimes just a collector who
wants to plan on what to do with his or her shells.  No matter the reason,
the result is someone with shells they want to dispose of in a manner that
seems right to them.  This breaks down into those who want to sell the
collection and those who want to give it away.

Selling the collection involves a myriad of issues, especially if it is
being done by a survivor with no knowledge of shells or shell collecting.  I
advise these folks to have a member of a local shell club or a shell dealer
who lives close by take a look at the collection and, a) decide if it is
worth selling, b) decide if they should get an appraisal, and c) let them
know what should be done to get the collection ready to sell.  I let them
know an appraisal will cost and unless the collection has been properly
curated, it will be worthless except as curio items.  Selling can be to
private collectors, dealers, or through any number of auctions (like Ebay)
to individuals.  If the collection is to be sold as a whole, you are pretty
much limited to dealers as most collectors will not or cannot handle such a
large transaction with varied material in which they may or may have an
interest.  Selling a collection by shell families provides a wider target
customer base and here you have a much greater chance of interesting
individual collectors.  They should know about Rice's Prices.  I explain
this tome is based on last year's catalog prices and that condition and
rarity can greatly affect the price.  It is great for insurance estimates.
I also let them know to expect the shells to be worth maybe 1/3 to 1/2 of
what they think they are worth - even in a well curated collection.  Not
only does a dealer have to make a profit, but to the price of the shell must
be added the costs of acquiring the collection (trip costs, packing and
unpacking, curating, cleaning, etc.).  Finally, there are often shells in a
collection that had value to the collector because of where or how they were
acquired but may be worthless to a dealer.  If it looks like junk, it
probably is...

The second option is giving the collection away.  The first thought is often
the local museum, which may or may not be a good idea.  Museums are almost
always full to bursting with material and with limited space must make hard
choices about acquisitions.  If a museum can be found that will take the
collection it does not mean it will ever really enter the museum's
collection, but may be sold off for much needed funds.  Of course the
obvious course, if donation to a museum is selected, is to donate to a
museum known for its shell collection like the Academy in Philadelphia, the
Delaware Museum, Harvard, Smithsonian, Bailey-Matthews, etc.  But often a
smaller, local museum will be glad to acquire a well-curated collection.  A
friend of mine has done just that and, to ensure the welcome of her
collection by the museum, she provided for a trust fund to curate the museum
shell collection.  Obviously, we cannot all follow this path.  Shells can
also be donated to COA for use in auctions at the annual convention.  This
ensures the shell goes to someone who wants it and provides funds for
research grants in malacology.  They can also be donated to local shell
clubs or given to individuals.  For myself, my oldest daughter has had her
eyes on my collection for years, so I am set.

But, no matter what course is chosen, the collection should be well
cataloged NOW!

Tom Eichhorst in New Mexico, USA