From:
Andy Rindsberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Aug 2004 10:25:16 -0500
Tom & Andrew,

Sounds like a job for DNA analysis. Where is David Campbell when you need
him?

Incidentally, Thomas Say's old publications (many dating to the 1810's)
often contain ecologic tidbits in the species descriptions. It's charming --
and sometimes highly informative. The tendency is to think that everything
is already known about common species, yet here is an abundant, attractive,
widespread species that lives in accessible localities at very shallow water
depths whose basic biology is still very incompletely understood. A shell
collector who wants to make a real contribution to science need look no
further than to add to our knowledge of such species.

Andrew K. Rindsberg
Geological Survey of Alabama