From:
Andrew Grebneff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Aug 2004 00:00:37 +1200
>A note of caution is necessary.  Formaldehyde is a very
>toxic/dangerous substance.  Only work with the formalin/formaldehyde
>outside so that the fumes are not vented into your home.  Keep it
>away from children, since it is poisonous, if ingested.  Do not
>breathe the formalin/formaldehyde fumes, since they are most harmful
>to you.  In working with the formalin/formaldehyde, use
>plastic/latex gloves to protect the skin of your hands.  Safety
>goggles would also be a good idea.
>
>You may have difficulty obtaining formaldehyde/formalin.  Although I
>have ready access to it, since I work in a hospital laboratory, I do
>not know how you would obtain formaldehyde on your own.  Does anyone
>on this list know of a commercial source for formaldehyde?  If not,
>maybe you could contact your local hospital laboratory and ask if
>they could spare some for you.  If you told them how  you were
>planning to use, maybe they would give you some, after telling you
>how dangerous/toxic a substance it is.

Formaldehyde may well be available at agricultural-supply stores; it
is here, in the dilute form called formalin, sold in 20-liter bottles
for use on footrot. Dilute this to 4% of the solution you buy (which
will be a tiny percentage of formaldehyde/water). I have two such
bottles at present.

It is toxic, but not all THAT bad. The problem with it is that if it
enters the body it breaks down, and the prime product is formic
acid... so first it fixes your tissues, then it starts to eat them...
so don't be frightened of it, but if you get it on your skin it's
prudent to wash it off straight away.

Particle board is made using formaldehyde, and gives off fumes for
years (which is why shells should not be kept in praticleboard or MDF
cabinets). This stuff is used in furniture (including beds) and
flooring. So many houses are full of formaldehyde fumes anyway.

And beware... rats & mice will enjoy the dried asteroids. So will mites.
--
Andrew Grebneff
Dunedin