From:
Stephanie Clark <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Aug 2004 19:02:15 -0500
Dear Avril, Harry and other landsnailers

I have already sent an answer straight to Jerry, but I should have sent it
to the list also. The species is a member of the family Succineidae, at the
moment, I at least, can not take it any further. Over the last few years
this group of snails has been turning up frequently in the cut flower and
nursey trade, on things especially out of Singapore, among other places, in
Europe, America, Australia, south east Asia etc.

Stephanie

At 06:26 PM 24/08/2004, you wrote:
>Dear Avril, and landsnailers among Conch-L ranks,
>
>This forum discussed a slug with a similar description about five years ago:
>
>"Dear James,
>
>Why not scan a few specimens as they crawl across your flatbed; Bill Frank
>does.  Then we'd have a better shot at the ID.  Hint: both Tom and I may
>be right.
>
>["Arion subfuscus. It is an exotic. Should have racing stripes on the
>sides." (G. Thomas Watters). "The slugs you describe are all Limax flavus
>Linnaeus, 1758" (H. G. Lee)].
>
>Gotta go on vacation; back in a week,
>
>Harry
>
> >"At 07:31 AM 6/13/99 -0400, James Cheshire wrote:
> >>Dear all, I have a slug question. Up here in Ohio, I have been seeing
> >>many different kinds of slugs. One paticular type that interests me is
> >>one
> >>that is a light citrus orange in color. When disturbed, it creates bright
> >>orange slime.
> >>I have seen specimens of similar color, but some have grey undersides. It
> >>is about 2 inches
> >>long. Can anyone tell me what species this is?
> >>
> >>Thanks, James"
>
>We never put a definitive answer together.  There is an image of Tom's
>nominee at <http://www.jaxshells.org/ncsnail.htm>.
>
>Harry
>

>At 04:09 PM 8/24/2004, you wrote:
>>Hello again Conchlers,
>>
>>I have a new mystery page set up at:
>><http://www.manandmollusc.net/Mystery_shell_pages/jerry-mystery.html>http://www.manandmollusc.net/Mystery_shell_pages/jerry-mystery.html
>>to identify a California terrestrial snail.
>>
>>You can email Jerry privately
>>at:  <mailto:[log in to unmask]>mailto:[log in to unmask] or if you
>>answer the list, I will forward all responses on to him.
>>
>>Thank you in advance for any and all help,
>>Avril Bourquin
>
>Harry G. Lee
>Suite 500
>1801 Barrs St.
>Jacksonville, FL 32204
>USA
>Voice: 904-384-6419
>Fax: 904-388-6750
>Visit the Jacksonville Shell Club Home Page at:
>www.jaxshells.org
>
>oo .--.     oo .--.      oo .--.

Stephanie A. Clark

Department of Biodiversity & Systematics
University of Alabama
Box 870345
Tuscaloosa, AL  35487
Phone: 1 (205) 348 1792 FAX: 1 (205) 348-6460
Mobile 1 (205) 310 9942
email [log in to unmask]