Date:
Sun, 19 Sep 2004 11:26:40 -0400
Hey all;-
   I have seen (collected) several Olive shells in South Carolina with just such Bryozoan colonies attached. They can generally be removed in one piece. I haven't found any of them inhabited by crabs. Perhaps it is because the Olives are too heavy for their siize for the crab to move in comfortably. I suppose the colonies would also grow on whelks---but I haven't noticed.
    Art

> From: "Harry G. Lee" <[log in to unmask]>
> Date: 2004/09/18 Sat PM 05:18:50 EDT
> To: [log in to unmask]
> Subject: Re: Mystery item
>
> Dear Ron, Avril, and Tom,
>
> I agree with Tom.
>
> A congener has a somewhat different "shell" topology, and is more familiar
> to Florida and other Gulf of Mexico offshore collectors.  The late June
> Dawley wrote a short paper on that species, the "Texas Longhorn;" and its
> symbiont.  The article is posted at <http://www.jaxshells.org/jdawley.htm>.
>
> Harry
>

> At 04:12 PM 9/18/2004, you wrote:
> >Those look like a species of Hippoporidra, a bryozoan colony that builds its
> >structure on a small gastropod shell.  The shell is often then inhabited by
> >a hermit crab.
> >
> >Tom E.

PLEASE NOTE: My new, long-term, and correct email address is: [log in to unmask] Please update your records!