From:
Charles Sturm <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Jul 1998 09:08:47 -0400
Regarding the discussion of chigger bites I will offer the following
insight.  As mentioned, chiggers do not burrow into the skin.  Like ticks
they bite, feed and then drop off, this is unlike scabies, another type of
mite which does burrow into one's skin and also causes intense itching.

Treatment for chigger bite is purely symptomatic.  One can use topical
steroid creams, more potent than those which are found over the counter.
Another option is something with antipuritics in it like phenol, camphor
and/or menthol.  Some examples are Sarna Lotion and Noxeema Cream.
Calomine lotion with phenol or camphor may also help. Oral antihistamines
can be useful and for severe itching one may have to resort to using oral
steroids.  If one is to be out in the field for a while, it might be
advisable to speak with a physician before leaving and take some of these
medications with you.  There may be some herbal or "natural remedies" that
I am not aware of and would be interested in any such information.

To me the best offense is a good defense.  One can pre-treat clothing with
permethrin to repel insects and other arthropods.  This can be highly
effective
and can decrease the "bite burden" by 70 to 90%.  One can boost this
effect by using DEET on exposed skin.  One can use a 30% concentration in
a long lasting base and this will be as effective as the 100% jungle
formulation, with a lower risk of side effects.  By the way, if you treat
clothing with permethrin, it remains in clothing for several weeks.

If anyone is interested in further information let me know.

Charlie
Charlie Sturm, Jr
Research Associate - Section of Invertebrate Zoology
                     Carnegie Museum of Natural History
Assistant Professor - Family Medicine