From:
Alfonso Pina <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 Nov 2004 20:28:25 +0100
Cecil and others,

As it is pointed by Rich, it is not a simple task to select a reliable
source for taxonomic purposes and I think that, even apart subjectivity and
accuracy issues, there's no one perfect. Referring to OBIS, I use to
consider it a good source but, as Harry notes, if a species is not listed
you can get no data at all.

Since I like to work in that field (I must admit I experience what my wife
would call a compulsive neurotic pleasure in making such compilations) I had
to analyze this subject carefully and I reached some conclusions about the
principles of "taxonomic listing" :

- One can't become an expert in every genus or family, so one must rely in
real authorities in each group.
- Since authorities often disagree in some aspects, a list must reflect the
most accepted consense, but must also cite if there are any other
sustainable opinion.
- Partial data are not good data. Following Murphy's law, the name you are
searching for is probably the one that is not there, so it is important to
cite as many names and sinonyms as it is possible.
- Source citation is mandatory, even as secondary references. In the last
instance, if not another thing, these are a valuable resource for any
researcher.
- World changes, taxonomy too. A taxonomic list must be revised from time to
time, despite it could be a hard work (and believe me, it is)

As I said, it's difficult to accomplish all these points and so I won't call
"perfect" any of the list or databases which I know so far. However, there
are obviously some better than others and I think the right way is to have a
bunch of "favorites" to consult about in every occasion. As for my lists, I
try them to be "lists of lists" and so include all reliable data found in
other sites to simplify the work of the searchers, but this may perfectly be
a hope more than a fact.

Alfonso Pina
Málaga, Spain
www.eumed.net/malakos