Date:
Tue, 30 Nov 2004 16:34:04 +0200
I can give an example in which both term used together being Francisco
WELTER-SCHULTES collective paper of his PhD on Albinaria in Crete
[WELTER-SCHULTES, F. W. (2000): Approaching the genus Albinaria in Crete
from an evolutionary point of view (Pulmonata: Clausiliidae). -- Schriften
zur Malakozoologie 16: 1-208. ]

To my consideration and understanding from usage in this paper, for snails
(again saying) living on the same rock (or same series of rock, like say
eocene limestone; or same-type rock), river etc and living in a certain
habitat (forest, montane area) and more commonly only with reference to a
geographical unit (Mt. Dia, Blackfen Creek, Grand Canyon, ?Ithaca :))

In the example of Clausiliidae (dont know if there is any intruder to
Nearctics), there is a great deal of insular (as well as in other means of)
speciation many of which are argued only to be ecospecies with no
interbreeding barriers despite the occurrence of molecular and fair
morphological differences. This couldnt be disproved as the genitalia is
quite even in the family, differing slightly at genus level. In such cases i
think whether it is syntopic or -patric does really make sense. But if the
ecospecies thesis (they are not true species indeed) is correct, then they
can interbreed whether sympatric or syntopic. Back to the species concept,
two species cannot give fertile crossbreeds. Could there any exceptions, in
gastropods or other groups? Rather difficult question is how could it be
tested (if there is crossbreeding) in such an animal that has two sexes with
potentially more-than-one way reproductive ways (Deroceras, Vallonias),
sperm storage ability and very specific ecological needs?

Any ideas?

Ümit KEBAPÇI