From:
Andy Rindsberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Dec 2004 08:13:26 -0600
>> aluminum foil works surprisingly well as a wrap to cushion fossils.

> Just be aware that it is used to wrap other things.  I know someone who
arranged to pick up some fossils for a museum, meeting the collector on a
street corner.  A policeman thought this exchange of small foil-wrapped
packages looked suspicious.  At lea st it was relatively easy to show that
they had cormorant bones, not drugs.

Try to keep in mind that the burden of proof is still on the police.

Reminds me of the police who thought my plastic bags were for dealing drugs
instead of collecting fossils. And the security guard who recently told me
to stop taking photographs (of butterflies) at a shopping mall. This sort of
thing has been going on for a long time. My parents told me that on
sweltering nights in Cincinnati in the 1930s to 40s, people used to take the
kids to public parks to sleep. Gone are the days.

Andrew K. Rindsberg
Geological Survey of Alabama