From:
Andy Rindsberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Dec 2004 08:54:59 -0600
Beth,

There are indeed. Paper is one of Alabama's most important products, along
with cotton, peanuts, pecans, soybeans, and expatriates. There is a
papermill on the Perdido River nearby, which has been accused of killing
most of the benthic life in Perdido Bay. Certainly the bay scallops are
gone. Thanks for the reminder.

Some foam is natural, but increasingly it is difficult to tell what is
natural and what is not, except by reference to old books. The sea's surface
naturally has a thin film of organic compounds, which can generate foam when
it is kicked up by the waves. The composition of this film affects the
evaporation of water from the sea's surface and the formation of bubbles by
waves, so it's a matter of some interest to oceanographers. J. G. Ballard
wrote a science fiction novel imagining what would happen if the film's
composition changed just enough to prevent evaporation -- bingo, no rain.

In the 70's, I saw "foam cats" on the northern California shore, where
pollution was slight -- only two pieces of trash on a beach 4 miles long.
Though, come to think of it, there was a lot of driftwood from logged
timber.

Maine is a great place. My family vacationed at Moosehead Lake for five
years.

Andy

Andrew K. Rindsberg
Geological Survey of Alabama