From:
Tulsa Zoo Nature Exchange <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Feb 2005 15:44:41 -0600
This is incredibly sad news... and I would like to share a story about Dr.
Mayr

In 1996, the Society for the Study of Evolution met in St. Louis at
Washington University.  I had the privilege of being a PhD student at St.
Louis in the Population and Evolutionary Biology program.  I was asked to
meet Dr. Mayr, who was then 91, at the St. Louis airport and bring him to
his hotel.

Boy was I scared!  Would I recognize him?  What the heck would I say to such
an amazing man?  I waited for him at his gate (I probably got there an hour
ahead of time just in case).  When he hobbled off the airplane with his
cane, I was relieved to recognize him.  We walked slowly for the first 100
feet or so, when he picked up his cane, tucked it under his arm, and assumed
a brisk and normal gait.  I was astounded.  He laughed and explained to me
that he had found that using a cane helped him get a little respect and
allowed him to preboard and get off the plane first.  Our first few minutes
together certainly relaxed me, and I think I calmed down a little bit for
our drive to the hotel.

His impact on our understanding of the history of life on earth will never
be lost.  What an amazing mind, and a very kind person.

Keri Shingleton
Tulsa Zoo Nature Exchange