From:
Tom Eichhorst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Mar 2005 14:21:07 -0700
Oh yeah.  I had a similar experience with some small nerites from the
Philippines.  The major difference is that my shipment was confiscated by US
Customs and then about a week later I had a visit (two hour) by two agents
from the US Department of Agriculture.  They were less than excited about
someone importing live snails, even by mistake.  They were very polite, but
the shells are gone.  I am still not sure they were really still alive, but
cannot say for sure one way or another.  Some nerites can live out of water
for two months.  These had been out at least that long before leaving the
P.I. and are not a species known for long survival times when put up dry.
It was an interesting experience (in the Chinese proverb sense of that
word).

Tom E.