From:
Dan Yoshimoto <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Jul 1998 19:55:13 -0700
>Just a quick request.  We have established (all of two meetings, no
>officers, no formal anything but about 12 members) a shell club in
>Albuquerque and the next meeting looks like it will be at my place.  The
>first meeting was a get together at a local restaurant and the second was
>a behind the scenes deal at the local Natural History Museum.  Okay, I've
>got the third, any ideas for a program?  I have the grill some chicken,
>talk about shells, and wander around the backyard down pat - but there
>should be something more.  We want to keep this an informal group but I
>want this to be more than just a chance to show off my collection.
>
>Thanks for any ideas,
>
>Tom Eichhorst in New Mexico

Tom,
Check to see what is important to the members.  I'm sure that they must
have ideas why they are in this club.  Have them bring a small cigar box of
shells that they really like and have them talk about them.  The pacific
Shell Club has their "Cigar Box Show every year at on of their meetings.
Do the members all like the same thing?  I doubt it.  Have them share what
their favorite collecting places are and start a local check list of what
can be found in your area.  I'm sure that New Mexico has interesting things
to collect, albeit land snails.  What kind of snails live in caves?
Rivers?  The Desert?  Do you have a library that would like an exhibit made
by your club?  It's a great way to find out if there are more interested
people in your area.  How many have internet?  Have them research websites
for the club.  I'm doing that for a new club of only 5-6 people we are just
planning.  Let me know how your club is working out.  It's difficult to
start a new club (particularly a sea shell club, where there's no sea).
        Write if you would like my website listing of clubs, museums and
other collectors.  Introduce them to Conch-L.  Now that's a great idea.
I'm glad I thought of it.

        Good luck, Dan Yoshimoto

Dan & Hiromi Yoshimoto
1164 Vista Dr.