From:
Alan Gettleman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 9 Oct 2005 18:40:26 -0400
Bob,
Of the 100 or so Unionids or the smaller fingernail clams that live(d) in
Indiana, any speculation would be fairly difficult.  Usually though, you
will not find too many juvenile Unionids in the mid-west streams.  Two
possible choices would be either the introduced Corbicula cf. manilensis
which is not a Unionid but is more oval with many concentric very close
growth rings, or the smallest of the Unionids, Truncilla donaciformis, which
would be more elongate than round. The Corbiculas can range from green to
black, but mostly they are a pale apple green uniform color.
Marion Havlik who is on the list has done a lot of work on the aging of
Unionids by growth rings and she can address that topic.  The mollusks will
about this time of year start burrowing down and resting until the next
season, so the growth lines on Unionds are fairly good indicator.
A fun old book if you can find it is Richard Ellsworth Call  M.D. An
Illustrated Descriptive Catalogue of the Mollusca of Indiana.  My copy does
not have the publication date but I think it is 1900, and of  course the
nomenclature has changed, but it is a nice book to look at.  No Corbicula
though in that book.
Kevin Cummings's Midwest Molluscs is on line at
http://www.inhs.uiuc.edu/cbd/collections/mollusk/fieldguide.html and is a
fantastic resource.
I was surprised to find how few Unionds there were in some middle Illinois
streams on a trip there a couple of weeks ago.  They had record drought in
that area and very, very few dead shells were evident.

Alan Gettleman
Merritt Island, FL