From:
Bob Dayle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Oct 2005 09:22:16 +1000
Thanks to all for the information.

Using David's description, I would say that the few, old, elongate valves that I
have encountered in this stream may have been Unionids. The valves were broken
and little more than an inch across. Also, they seemed rather thin and fargile.

The live specimen that I mentioned initially plus a second, smaller one of the
same variety are the ONLY live bivalves that I have seen here. These were no
more than an inch or two down in the clean gravel bed near the center of the
stream. The current was easily two to three knots.

Considering the Zebra mussel problem coming down from the Great Lakes, I wonder
if one is allowed to "disturb or molest" introduced species such as this one.

Aloha,

Bob Dayle